Eating a balanced diet for health
As depression disrupts our body systems and disturbs the appetite, it is important to pay extra attention to eating healthily and well. All you need to do is eat from the four main food groups and observe the golden rules. As a result, you will have much more energy, your skin will be improved, your hair will be glossier and you will feel better mentally, emotionally and physically.
You can check that your weight is at a healthy limit for your height by calculating your Body Mass Index. To do this, note your weight in kilograms and divide the number by your height in meters, squared. For example if your weight is 65 kg, and height 1.68 meters, first multiply 1.68 x 1.68 = 2.82 (your height squared). Next, divide 65 by 2.82. Your BMI is 23.
Most health care professionals agree that a BMI of 20-25 is healthy. Below 20 is regarded as underweight, over 25 is regarded as overweight, over 30 is obese and over 40 is a serious hazard to health.
The Four Food Groups
Variety is the key to a balanced diet. Eat a selection from each of these food groups daily.
|Group One||Group Two||Group Three||Group Four|
The golden rules to eating for health
- Never eat in a hurry.
- Don’t eat more than you need.
- Always drink water with a meal.
- Never skip breakfast.
- Never embark on a faddy or gimmicky diet.
- Don’t go for meal replacements in any form.
- Don’t crash diet.
- Don’t miss meals.
- Don’t ever go on a fast.
- Ignore cravings and give up highly processed and junk foods.
- Cut down on alcohol or stop drinking.
- Don’t go shopping when you are hungry – eat first.
- Eating four, five or even six small meals a day is much better for your body than two or three larger meals a day.
- If you want to lose weight, cut down the size of portions and avoid foods high in fats or sugar.
- If you are overweight, don’t buy larger size clothes.
- If you wish to gain weight, increase the size of portions and eat healthily from all four food groups every day.
- If you are underweight, don’t take in your clothes or buy a smaller size.
- Eat slowly and don’t try to do something else, such as reading or watching television, while you are eating: focus on the pleasure of the food.
- Try not to resort to convenience foods: cooking even a simple meal gives a lot of satisfaction.
- Finish your evening meal at least three hours before bedtime and drink water or a soft drink rather than tea, coffee or alcohol during the rest of the evening.
Key Facts: You can use scales or a tape measure, but the BMI is the best way to assess whether your weight is healthy. Don’t drink or at least cut down on alcohol, and reduce your caffeine intake, but be aware that withdrawal of caffeine can cause headaches and alcohol withdrawal can cause irritability and disturbed sleep for a week or two. Also avoid added salt, sugar, convenience meals, crisps, salted nuts, sweets, chocolate, biscuits, cakes, rich puddings, full cream, alcohol, greasy take-away meals. Cut down on tea and coffee and substitute with water or fruit juice. You will feel much better on a healthy balanced diet within days of starting it. For optimum health, you need to drink eight glasses of water a day. This is the ultra natural detox diet.