What are the long term solutions for depression?
Try not to diminish or demean yourself in conversation with friends and colleagues. If you have a low opinion of yourself and your abilities, how can you expect anyone else to hold a good opinion?
Constant tiredness is a debilitating and common aspect of depression. It may even be the first symptom you notice. It is important for your recovery that you take steps to reduce it. Firstly, run through the measures for reducing anxiety. Secondly, ensure that you get good-quality sleep. Thirdly, eat healthily. Fatigue will usually disappear within a fortnight.
- These are the golden rules for good-quality sleep.
- Ensure you have a comfortable and supportive bed.
- Go to bed at roughly the same time each night.
- Get up at roughly the same time each morning.
- Make sure that there is nothing to keep you awake in the bedroom, such as books, a television or a radio.
- Make sure that the room is well ventilated.
- Make sure that the room is dark.
- Make sure that the room is quiet.
- If you cannot sleep, lie quietly in the dark and do your best to relax.
- Take a warm bath just before bedtime.
Feeling good about yourself
||AffirmationsChoose the ones that appeal and repeat to yourself at intervals throughout
Key Facts: Take action if you feel tired all the time – this may be a sign of poor self-esteem, anxiety and depression. No one can stay awake night after night. You will sleep when you teach yourself to relax. Low self-esteem amounts to a prejudice against yourself, so avoid shooting yourself in the foot. It is often the things we haven’t done that we regret, rather than those we do. If in doubt, go for it. Professional help is available through your family doctor to enable your to express any troubling thoughts and deal with them.